Friday, November 19, 2021

13,951. SUIT YOURSELF

SUIT YOURSELF
My very tired eyes are blue,
though never before have
they been. I took the boat
to Tired Island, and some
guy tried picking me up:
'I love the blue of your 
eyes,' he said.
-
I noticed the lamppost was
out, on the avenue by 19th.
Many years before, right 
there, had been a now
historic riot, where the
locals were shot down by
militia, a big battle, in the
street. About 120 bodies,
just strew about. 
-
We don't do that here 
anymore. I don't think.
-
As the vaunted statesman
told me,' There are different
ways now of silencing people,
and we use them all.' I shrugged
and said 'Your wife said you
should try what I did on her.'
-
We don't do that here,
anymore? I don't think?
-
Another time, the Draft Riots.
Another time, the Negro Burnings.
I can hardly keep up. One tries
learning history to stay abreast
of what, the past? The present?
Which is it? Can't be the future.
-
No matter what, I'll say this to
you, I've never given up. Not
yet. We don't do that here,
anymore, I don't think.

No comments: