Sunday, November 7, 2021

13,928. EVEN NOW

EVEN NOW
The diamond-seller's place
was on 47th and I took a
necklace there that I had 
found, and a high school
ring from some guy I used 
to know  -  both being
useless to me, I got about
700 bucks, yes, but the
diamond-merchants said
I was lucky they were in
a generous mood and that
the necklace (from Martin
Lawrence Jewelers, with
its box and original sale 
receipt for 1600 bucks 
some) wasn't worth that
much at all and whoever
had paid that for it 15 years
back had been foolish. I
said I didn't care, both of 
these people were dead 
now and I was cashing in.
Which wasn't exactly true
but wasn't false either. So
I took their money and left.
They were 2 very different
people; the first guy, the 
salesman at the counter, 
was all sharp and fancy,
but the guy who apparently
made the money decisions
was a short, wide, squat 
Jewish guy of about maybe
70 who wore the yarmulke
funny-like on his bushy gray
hair and a eye-piece jeweler's
magnifier thing around his
head. He pulled it down over
an eye when examining carats
for quality and the rest. He 
made decisions quickly, 
blurting out rudely, things 
like 'Nothing here,' or 'junk, 
worth but little.' I guessed it 
was all part of their game and 
simply had not the energy to 
fight or squabble over money  
-  which apparently meant 
more to them that it ever
would to me. So I took
what they gave, 
and left.

No comments: