Monday, November 8, 2021

13,930. AT BAR 55

AT BAR 55
'Well fuck me twice because 
I've already lost it.' When I
heard Shanda say that aloud,
I knew she was already drunk.
Around the corner from the
wedge-shape bar, the guy 
named Carl came rushing 
over, with one of those white 
rags that bartenders use. He
looked all of us over, and
said, 'Go on, go on, just
another mess to clean. It's
really OK.' And I knew he
meant it too.
-
There were some lilies leftover
at the other table, and I said
'What's with that?' He said
there'd been a funeral party
here earlier  -  another one
of those (I'd seen them here
before) with the bagpiper and
the crazy Irish mourners and
the firemen getting drunk.
-
Right next door too, at the
Lion's Head, it never was much
better, except that was more the
'literary' crowd. I'd seen Breslin
in there, and Norman Mailer too.
Big-mouths playing cards, and
a few fights, right through to the
finish; who was gonna' win, you
never really knew. Keen men
would put bets on the ultimate
ending.
-
I'd once asked a bagpiper how
much he got for a funeral. He
said 'Eighty bucks. But it never
goes long. They say four hours
but in 30 minutes these bust-up
guys get so wasted they forget
all about me. And I get to drink
and eat. For free.'

No comments: