Monday, November 15, 2021

13,942. TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE THINKING

TELL ME WHAT 
YOU'RE THINKING
I'm thinking of mushrooms
and remembering the word
shitaake which I once for a
while took as shitcake and
declined. Shitcake mushrooms?
No, thanks. But I hoped not
ever. And then I thought of
Joseph Campbell, probably
because of soup, as in Campbell's 
Mushroom Soup, which is hardly 
that at all and could get away with
being called shitcake too. Not
that anyone would notice, and
they'd like it just the same. But
anyway, Joseph Campbell wrote
'The Hero With a Thousand Faces.'
-
That was back in 1949, the same
year I was born, and the same
year too that India was formed,
or maybe it was Israel, I forget.
It's what those experts call a
'book of comparative mythology,'
which phrase I never understood;
who compares mythology, and
why? What's the use? It's not to
be studied, but believed in.
-
Only western rationalists would
stoop to dissecting. No? Here's
one: 'I go to bed tired each night
but not tired enough to ignore the
voice that is speaking within me.
It's as if, by sleeping, I am shutting
that valve off. I really just want it
to run, not be stopped. So I make
up the same passive myth by which
primitives believed in God?
-
Keep it running on, but slowly
step away. But then, in another
vein, I get this other idea: It's an
allusion to the fact that God WAS
long ago, IS still today, and WILL
be unto eternity. Yet, then, just
before sleep, I still wonder, will
God instead UNDO eternity by
suddenly taking anew an active
role within the affairs of man?
And what would happen then?
-
Einstein managed to formulate
the time itself is not absolute;
that it is instead merely another
dimension, to be likened to, say,
height, width, and depth. God is
GOD because all these dimensions
are consumed by Him, as the
Creator of time and unaffected
by time.
-
I go bleary and this sleep inches in:
Though God is the creator of time,
and unaffected by it too, God does
not know what will happen 'before'
things happen  -  such a description
would present us with the problem
of predestination and the elimination
of humankind's free will. I nod, to
propose that 'God' is then above
the limitation of both the words
'before,' and 'after,' occupying
instead all of time simultaneously.
-
The entire universe is filled with
'His glory' thereby? This is really
hanging me up. I ought to sleep.

No comments: