Monday, September 27, 2021

13,845. WHY RUN WITH MAX REYNARD?

WHY RUN WITH 
MAX REYNARD?
'This is some rusty stuff, you old
paranormal upstart. There are things
here even I've forgot.' I was talking,
actually, with Max's wife, a goodly
girl whom I had always liked. And
I think she knew that too.
-
It was nothing like playing marbles
in Hell, sleeping under covers, or
swapping spit  -  as used to be said
in the good old days. No, now it
was all zone zero and circumspect.
-
I idled my time at her table. She'd
made me some Earl Grey tea. The
flat-out scent of flattery was hard
as hell but staying put.
-
So she asked why I'd come. 'I came
to see Max,' I said. She replied, 'Max
has died, or weren't you told?' I had
to stop and think. 'My God, no. This
is news to me.' 
-
She sat down next to me began to
cry. 'It was quick, and so beguiling.
He died on the way down, to the
ground. The doctor said he never
even knew what hit him. His heart
just burst.' I said I'd never heard
it put quite that way.

No comments: