Thursday, September 23, 2021

13,836. TREADLE MY MEANDERS SLOWLY

TREADLE MY 
MEANDERS SLOWLY
In the library of Carstair Hills, I saw
what I wanted to see. Three girls were
sitting across from me, and I was maybe
18 again! They used to call me a sweet
old guy; now it's a dirty old man? One
Humbert Humbert, that's me, all over
again? I want to treadle my cream on
your bagel. The librarian said 'Shush!'
-
I'd never even actually heard that
word before, only read in Tom Sawyer.
Becky Thatcher and a bunch of those
kids trying to get her where they wanted.
Shush holds hush, so it's easy to get,
every for some Mark Twain brat.
-
Everything is so different these days:
Twain said now that Jim would be
totally different, and Becky'd be
probably knocked up. 'How in the
tarnation', he said, 'are we supposed
to figure anything out now? Up is
down  -   so professed anyway  -   
but I still can't write what I was
meaning to say.' I told him to just
give it up, and it ain't worth trying.
-
And then I said, 'Hey, Sam, have
you ever heard of Zane Grey? He's
like Bret Harte was, but about
different things. Did you know 
his first name was really 'Pearl?'

No comments: