Thursday, September 23, 2021

13,835. HIGH DRIVE TO LITTLETON

HIGH DRIVE TO LITTLETON
There was no blessing in the
speed, no sense in driving fast.
All the buzzing lights were 
overhead; like noise they
flashed. Ohio cops headed
to Akron again?
-
These highway roads make
me bleary. Three or four lanes
of nothing at all  -  dead farms
replaced by industrial stock 
and warehouses where trucks 
now feed instead of cows.
-
That which doesn't kill me 
makes me stronger? Who 
once said that never said it 
to one of those cows now
gone. Nor had it moo'd
back to them.
-
I stay against the divider,
fastest lane I can find. 82mph
where it tells me 65? Just a
number on a wanton wall, 
that's all. Antioch and Ohio
State  -  college tramps on
treks of their own.
-
I can hear America singing?

No comments: