Friday, July 30, 2021

13,733. WHAT IT USED TO BE LIKE TO BE ME

WHAT IT USED TO 
BE LIKE TO BE ME
The fortune-teller told me I was
a 'harbinger of change.' I was merely 
twenty and she was a gypsy tramp.
A Linden gypsy in some fruitless
Jersey swamp. Rose Hill, Rosedale,
one of the cemetery places. The
Route One traffic rolled by.
-
Those cemeteries right there, across
from each other, back then held all
the gypsy graves. They had metal
picnic tables, scrollwork, and crazy
gravestones too. We were sitting,
across from each other too  -  just
like the cemeteries  -  and she talked
on. Ugly, and fat! What a combo.
-
I was only there for the morning. 
Some NY friend of mine had died,
and I went along for the ride. Not to
death, no, but in one of the cars to
the burial site, which was near.
He must have had gypsy blood,
for he got buried right there.
-
She might have been someone's aunt,
maybe. Aunt Unlucky, I said to myself.
Her daughter  -  with her  -  was named
Alsatia; about 15. I could tell she'd be a
real looker soon. Predicting the future
is sometimes real easy, and I was a
harbinger of change, though maybe
a bit too soon.

No comments: