Thursday, July 1, 2021

13,680. HARD TO TAKE

HARD TO TAKE
My happenstance is your advantage,
since I've only just now remembered
what I wanted to say. The newsbox 
of old would have been screaming
a headline, but thy don't have them
any longer: Just a guy, at the top of
the subway ramp, handing out some
stupid free paper with nothing but 
dross. Headlines for the snide, and
'sales' for the beleaguered and lost.
-
I wonder about the sellers of scarves
and watches. They're always strange
immigrant people; from where do they
come? A daily pick-up and a drop-off,
from some slum? How do they get
around, and who controls all that
miserable cash?  Sometimes society
seems so tight; at other times, like
this, it appears to be a leaky sieve.
-
A mad dash to anything at all? Seems
impossible now, but I suppose it has
to happen, and by such are great
kingdoms made, and that's
how people live.

No comments: