Saturday, July 24, 2021

13,721. THIS IS WONDERLAND FULLY, JUST A STAB

THIS IS WONDERLAND FULLY, 
JUST A STAB
I think it takes a person a lifetime to
actually become what they really are. 
Like me, for instance. Once I stabbed
for death and left it all behind, then I 
closed the door on a wicked book. You
think I cared a whit about who lived
or died? Sammy Gravano had nothing
on me. Now? It's all carbines and 
Nature. A dead future, waiting to be.
-
I sometimes just sit and watch the
cars go buy; noticing things, realizing
my little regard for people, how I hate
the world. This good book on my lap,
just delivered by some loser in a kettle
bonnet, tells me to judge not, lest I
be judged. OK, that's good enough
for me. Eat not, lest ye be eaten?
-
I am a scamp, a regular Mark Twain
scoundrel, but without the cigar. He
smoked 47 a day, it says in the bio
I read. I wonder, how can that be,
and for years? That like every half
hour, the jerk. The word around was
that he stunk, dressed like a bum,
and was foul and rude. A man has 
a right to be whatever he will.
-
Back in Metuchen, I had a few
friends; people like that: The
guy, Darrell, with a knife-scar
right across his face, fully; Billy
English, who shot up the local
Ford plant in a fit of anger over
computerized trains. Two local
whores, always willing to drop at
the Durham Cafe. Life was good
then, in its screwed-up way.

No comments: