Saturday, April 10, 2021

13,540. OF CYCLAMATES AND ARMS

OF CYCLAMATES AND 
GOOFBALL ARMS
'Turned out in the end I didn't know
nothing; the same bastards who blitzed
me on the way in got me on the way out.
I never feared for much, except this. The
feeling of an ending isn't so cool.' 
-
Well, it seemed he meant all he said but
I couldn't tell and, besides, when you're
at some grimy, nowhere train station
who can you believe? The creep who
sidles up to you and begins to tell his
life story?
-
That's no different than any daffy old
lady doing the same, in her female way.
About flowers, and grandkids and homes
handbags and grandkids again. Charming 
for sure, but the presence seems flat and
she smells like a cemetery too.
-
The plaque on the wall tells about
some 1957 test-train that ran by here
at 150 mph, clear to Trenton from the
New Brunswick flats; the only long
straightaway in Jersey  -  where they
could really turn it on. I guess that was
good, but useless too. Here in Jersey
every three miles is another damned
town.
-
 'Princeton Junction; transfer here
for downtown Princeton and Princeton
University. Wait time about 8 minutes.'

No comments: