Wednesday, September 30, 2020

13,134. HENRY STRANGE AND BILLY FALSEHOOD

HENRY STRANGE AND BILLY FALSEHOOD
With their angle-irons poised, the two gents
were arguing at the precipice to a gigantic fault,
while the great drop below them gurgled. I saw
that others were watching, yet I could not grasp
the language they spoke. Some horrible smoke
was rising up from the littered abyss. 
-
One of them went first, as I realized I couldn't
tell them apart anyway  -  and just then they were
drowned out, momentarily, by the township street
sweeper, driven by Henry Sparks, a local guy from
down my street.
-
I waved my hand to Henry, who stopped. 'What
gives, and what do you know?' I asked him.
'Confetti,' he replied, 'It's all just confetti and 
noise. A guy down the road stabbed a lady in
neck, and another Tweedle-Dum jumped off
the Driscoll Bridge.' Henry seems always to
know most everything.
-
He's a real gem like that; but those other two
guys, still arguing, had now taken down the
streetlamps and were ripping up the pavement.
'Uh-oh,' said Henry, 'Here it goes again. It
always seems to start as nothing but ends
up a complete and total mess. I've got so
much to do, and my hands are full; I hope
this machine keeps running.'
-
What did he care, really, I thought, these
township guys have it made. If the sweeper
broke town, the town garage would fix it,
in a day or two  -  or just give him another
heap to drive. Six men around metal, like
bees at a hive. 
-
Back at the top, Billy Strange and Henry
Falsehood were still railing at each other.



No comments: