Thursday, September 24, 2020

13,126. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,068

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,068
('if only we let it')
I'm no longer running in place.
I guess I'm getting somewhere.
Else? How's that again? Else?
I have found, over time and as
I've aged, a key to something:
To be successful, any effort
must be single-minded and
done strongly. That may seem
an easy task, but it's not. Today's
world  -  well, I guess any day's
world : even medievalists were
probably distracted by marbles
or coin  -  offers too many
notable distractions and currents,
same as did the years 1340 or 1430.
-
Hard to fathom, all that. But a
one-minded devotion to matters 
at hand makes all the difference.
I've noticed that, without such, a
cobbler isn't much of a shoemaker,
nor a horse-trainer much of a
horse-trainer. And that's just to
name two random activities. For
the quest or Art or Writing, it
gets even weirder because all of
those 'outside' activities, whatever
they may be, are in essence the
raw material and the fodder for
Creativity and all it brings forth.
I used to be out walking all those
NYCity streets, picking up found
objects, any material useful for
inclusion, and mostly that was my
single-minded devotion - pursuing
the steps of Art. I had one or two
others, yes : Avoiding the maurauding
draft-board agents: avoiding those
hippie crowd-scenes and revels; and
just generally keeping clean of the
debris that sought-out sluggos such
as me. It never was easy.
-
What did any of that teach me?
To stay on task, as it's often called;
but nowadays you never much hear
that. Once-sound advice, now seen
as trite  -  as a phone or an Internet
keep people multi-tasked and busy
at all times with hydra-headed calls
for attention and detail, and they
never think twice, while thinking
they are thinking about thinking.
The ideal world revolved around
the concept of One. Still today, If
a person can hone the skill of doing 
'one' thing at a time, with attention
to detail and crevice, design and
operation, so much more can
come; so much more of that
'wonder,' and the nice surprises 
of 'living,' can be found. They 
come right to the surface as 
the mind is finally focused. Not
just that either  -  every facet of
light, sound, awareness, and the
visual take their rightful place,
and Life becomes Awe.
-
If only we let it.
-
Recently, in one of those 
moments of going through a 
hundred old things for moving 
and re-packaging (a meditative
and singular task in itself), I
came across an old 'child's toy'
from, probably, about 1958 or
1960. It was an early version,
in heavier metal, and real rubber
tires, of what later became known,
I guess, as a 'slot'car  -  a sort of
racing track for small cars that
was a momentary fad of sorts
in the later 1970's. Small cars,
by then micro-relayed and
transistorized or whatever any
of that is called, which clung
to the track layout upon which
they were spun  -  at high rates
of movement, and with some
great banks and curves in the
track design. Most or all of it,
by then, was plastic of one sort
or another. Anyway, this old
version of same almost took my
breath away  -  as I carefully
inspected it. Deep, strong, red
paint, an underbody that was
heavy and hellish, with the
the slot-guide in place, looking
like a shark fin, perhaps. It had
some real heft, a tiny little clear
windshield, not plasticene in any
way. Breathtaking and timeless,
it seemed to me  -  as if that ONE.
deep moment of inspection and
observation had, for me, stopped
all other clocks and movements. 
Deep within it, I peered to see the
tightly wound, coiled brass-colored
wire of the, I guess, electric-motor
generating system. Even if it was,
back then, machine-made and spun,
this small piece of evidence was
like looking at an archaeological 
find which spoke back to me from 
some other place and era, one I'd 
sought or stumbled upon, indeed. 
And I finally for once, I had so little 
to say back  -  except of the wonder and
the satisfaction, with my momentary
oneness   -  of what I'd found and
noticed. l sought, and I listened so.
-
All life ought to be like that:
if only we'd let it.

No comments: