Tuesday, September 15, 2020

13,117. AMENDS, CHARLIE

AMENDS, CHARLIE
(leaving NJ on a blue/grey bus)
The scarlet tanager and the levelled
hen  -  these are the sorts of things
never mentioned in proper texts.
They involve imagination, and
a real fantasy.
-
Cuckoo-land  -  another place entire  -
is just beyond these woods. They have
tried to build houses there, but each and
every one has disappeared. Here, where
there is little atmosphere, nothing
seems to grow.
-
I will be your witness to what I'm saying,
if that ever need be. In court, I would
listen carefully, and then bow down
to the crooked judge. For I am from
a New Jersey town, and am simply
that. Nothing else is meant. 
-
I saw an oasis once. It was at old
Ext 131 on the GS Parkway. Many
cars kept going, but I stopped to turn.
My car would no longer run when I
arrived to where I was going : The
ancient Edison Tomb Of Light. There
was nothing there. All had been erased.

No comments: