Tuesday, November 18, 2014

6083. FENDING THE ARMS

FENDING THE ARMS
Albert Coalesce, that's what he said his name was.
Or maybe it was Albert, more or less. How do I know
what a name means, or how to be fending it off?
No manuscript like this was ever  before produced,
and I have nothing that's even the same as the things 
which there already. One mighty nightmare, this is.
-
Please find me the channel to pass through all of this,
steer me through the shallows, beat my head upon
the stones  -  and then let me see your Gibralter before
we take it all home. I'm here, standing on the corner,
by, what is this, Bleecker and 10th?
-
Nathan Hale and Thom Paine too, you know they
both hung around here, but now the settlement's as dry
as bone and Minetta Brook is in the loam, drained and
sent through pipes instead, and no one knows a thing.
-
When was it, someone asked, that I really 
entered the mainstream? All I could do was
shake my head and laugh. And I was, already,
a nervous wreck. I could feel it in my bones,
but all I could do was laugh.

No comments: