Wednesday, November 12, 2014

6068. EVERMORE

EVERMORE
It wasn't just the orange juice and the swagger,
the wreath which was hanging from the ceiling
to call forth a seasonal cluster of already-early 
wishes; it was me. This is, after all, the porter
said, 'The Americana Lunch Room' and I don't
even eat. It's not some temporary thing, mind
you, I've always been quite partial to starvation,
especially here in a place like this : ten-ton bagels
the size of rams, and three-deck sandwiches which
are larger than the land. What is all this?
-
I remember being a boy, and sitting in the yard,
just gazing and  -  most probably  -  doing my
most stupid cowboy dreams. Suddenly, above 
my head, a racket  -  30 or so geese, swarmingly
noisy, in a V-formation, swimming the air on
their own way to another land. God, how I
wished that I could fly right then.

No comments: