Monday, December 24, 2012

4040. AT THE SILBERSTEIN COLLECTION

AT THE SILBERSTEIN
COLLECTION
We wash the pastry down with wine.
As people speak of spaces and volume, my
scant eyes are alerted by the wall's sheer
movement. Photographs from another place:
caftans, beggars, tea and elephants. These
pictures seem merely to say 'I have been
somewhere you haven't.' A camera makes
all the difference, no?
-
I wouldn't know what to do with money.
The thought of so many choices would soon
become painful. A hard poverty is more my way -
less to travel, more to see at home. Camera or
not, I move about seeking only a solace
from the wind or the sky.
-
Outside, staring up at evening, I watch the
change from sun to moon take place in the
deep December sky. The delicate arc of lunar
light attempts to meander but cannot. As the
sinking sun submits, I see vast shadows
take over the building walls.
-
This is a city light.
Amidst glass-walled buildings it
moves and changes with the seasons.
Inside, now, a collection of photographs is
pale by comparison. Silver-oxide chemistry
has very little heart. Although each image
is sharp and precise, the soul of a deeper
place is missing.
-
All the world has streets where people
are wanting. Even here, beggars line up
to wash. I need not travel for that to be mine.
I wouldn't know what to do.

No comments: