Wednesday, October 24, 2012

3941. BEARING THE SHOES OF EDWARD VILLELLA


BEARING THE SHOES
OF EDWARD VILLELLA
It was a windswept carpet of a night as we trounced up
Broadway. A long-distance goal would have been Lincoln
Center, had we been asked. As it were, our elongated
bodies fought the wind past scores of luggage stores,
lingerie wholesalers and stationery and office suppliers.
The occasional Afghan jewelry distributor added color to
an otherwise bleak night. Street-signs and traffic lights
distorted the pleasure of the walk as we ambled forth
unknown. At about the time I spied a yellowing bookstore
at a bend in the street, just then, the sinister carriage came
around the curve, with three figures within. Starting out,
they directly entered the brownstone before which they
had stopped. The tophats were odd, their gait was important,
and the long, black capes they wore seemed of another age.
A thin, white light went on in the vestibule, while outside their
black horse whinnied; a token perhaps of its loneliness
or edge. Quickly, the three entered the house. I heard
them ask for 'Mr. David Zimmerman.'
-
I have never felt as much out of time as that day. I have
never felt more a lone stranger that at that moment, when,
on a broad and darkened street, I sensed everything I knew
to be drifting away. There was a not-so-old mother, in a
thin house dress, at the other window, holding cloth and
slowly weaving her body in and out of time - to a tune,
perhaps, that only she was hearing. There was a
disembodied bird, its floating blue jay head and neck,
crown and eyes, hovering directly in front of me. As
it alit onto my arm, it regained its entire body. The
two side eyes were than added to by a larger,
central eye with one hooded lid.
-
I felt to talk to someone, remembering I wasn't alone.
Turning in the clutter of this odd reality, I saw instead
that I was alone; singularly enchanted, I decided to
rest. The coal-dark night of this lethal city had bested
me, had worked on my mind. Some monument to
Columbus was beckoning me. I verily hesitated to go.
-
I was holding the shoes of Edward Villella -
(I thought to be lost in the snow).

No comments: