Tuesday, October 2, 2012

3907. ALL THE WORKING PRINCES

ALL THE 
WORKING PRINCES
Pencils always at the ready, these are
architects working at their tasks; throwing
stone and brick out of ancient seas.Today's
man knows nothing of this. From hemp to 
coffee, we traverse these insincere ways. In
darkness I see the workmen walking to their
site, heavy with their lunch crates, funny, singing. 
They talk, and all their ribald intentions are soon
taken away and I am left with nothing but the
holding of hands. Apache girl, Filipino Christian,
leftover lad  -  any of you, roll away the stone!
I want a new immortality! Marjorie Sunshine,
oh now please come to me!
-
Puzzles? Do you doubt me? I am here, on71st
Street, hailing now this jumbled cab. I notice things;
there, here, Saul bellow, Delmore Schwartz, Isaac
Singer  -  all those distant, writer friends, once 
gone, are back again for one last blast. You see,
 you see, I inhabit a land of the dead, and 
all these men are still here at their tasks.

No comments: