Monday, October 15, 2012

3926. AT MARY O'BOYLE'S

AT MARY O'BOYLE'S
My newest tongue, Mary O'Boyle, is
driving for you. At the rubble'd heap your mother
calls home, I see you peering from behind smoky
and torn curtains. Look at me, look at me, sweet
rascal, for I am calling out to you. Behind us, that
damned slag-heap, the peat burning, the spreading
and incessant smoke burning my eyes, it
all comes down to this one moment : Oh
how I want you now! Come out!
-
I cry like a singing cat for you, in heat and
wailing. I'll rub my rump on a fencepost if you
wish, I twist and turn in any exuberant fashion.
This dimming evening light, already gone and
now already early, throbs away November
like the headache you reek in my own sorry
heart. Where am I, if not with you? If you
are not here, why continue to do?
-
Come out, come out, oh Mary O'Boyle.
Your mother can wait - her and her toil.

No comments: