Tuesday, September 4, 2012

3875. LET ME TAKE FIVE OF THESE

LET ME TAKE
FIVE OF THESE
Wandering like minstrels the pouty boys and their
lovely girls bowed down together to enter Rainbow Arch:
love was in their eyes, though for themselves and not
each other. The one girl was eating a chocolate swirl
like it was the end of the world, and one guy kept moving
to something in rhythm; as if dancing, he swayed. I only
saw later, an earbud in each ear. Man goes walking with
music 'midst friends. They finally entered the errant
oasis, and I lastly saw them smiling to each other,
as if each, relieved, was glad to be finished.
-
In my own heart remain traces of what may have been;
things that I missed, wished not to have said. I understand,
by now, that I myself have arrived, as well, as some odd
crossroads of time where the shadings of all behind me try
now to mesh with a present which tells me there's not
much of a future. It's all very strange. Perhaps I wish
I was one of those kids entering the rainbow bridge,
but I know better than that by now. My heart
has missed that arch some time ago.
-
I hear the sound of a barking dog, not that
far off, though not so near. Over at the
parking lot, all those festive cars, and
music, and people and dogs. All at once
a jumble : I want to be part of something,
but find myself walking, slowly and 
backwards, away from the noise.

No comments: