Tuesday, September 18, 2012

3889. MEMORY

 MEMORY
I broke my sails on the quarter-panel, on
the dark wood where you'd entered your
name in knife-point, like some errant scrimshaw
on the jaw of a tree. The words had darkened
over time, yet I remembered the instant well.
You were as crazy drunk as I was, and we'd
just fallen down laughing. The hand that did
this work still smiles, years later, though you
are gone. The ghosts of these letters linger.
-
How difficult is it for a man like me to age and
pass on?  -  I'll let you know sometime, though
don't (please) keep waiting on the edge of your
seat. Hopefully, like these letters carved in wood,
I'll still be around for a while. I'll enrich even you,
in memory if not in presence. Well, anyway,
here I am and here I remain. All pleasure.
-
In the old log book that guy kept on this
boat, in the quarter cabin where he slept,
at the wheelhouse where he watched, 
somewhere like that, I remember being 
twenty with you, watching as he wrote his
notes. We wondered what he had to write
down. All the time, it seemed, latitude and
longitude, and all that dreary stuff. All we
then cared about was this : I knew your
equator, and at what point your blossoms 
bloomed, and you knew mine. Onward
and upward, each day, we sailed.

No comments: