Wednesday, September 5, 2012

3876. WITH REGRETS, I LEAVE YOU


WITH REGRETS,
I LEAVE YOU
Yes, yes, I had mentioned you to the magistrate, and
he laughed right back in my face. Angered, I wanted to
rub him out with charcoal, but did nothing at all. I walked
away, simmering my edgy humor in a basketful of
hopes and dreams : oh, when you were beautiful and
young; oh, when I was a stalwart cowboy; oh, when
the world was yet one green meadow. Like forever
ever had a day to waste.
-
'Please sir, I am poor and dying, can you ladle me
some soup? For too many years I have been out on
these streets, suffering the catcalls of passers-by
laughing. They throw me the quarter or dime they
first puke out their ass. Is there no further salvation?'
-
Men like that make me think; give me the heebies,
make me nervous as hell and sore in the heart.
I want to lift a baby to the pool, moisten its
blessed head and mouth a prayer for every
future moment the little tyke shall live.
-
When I was young, I was already old.
Now that I am growing old, I find I
have no interest in being young.

No comments: