Tuesday, September 4, 2012

3874. THE WALL

THE WALL
Anybody wants to talk, let them talk. All the
monkeys have left their cages, and there's nothing
left here but scraps of salt-lick and peals of bananas.
The zookeeper's gone home to Peru. Every lightbulb
has learned to throw its crooked shadows at my face.
-
I listen to see if there's water running, a hose, or a
faucet, someplace to wet my lips. I'm parched and
tired and angry. Lost in a maze, am I locked in this
raided zoo for the night? Oh, no. I look over there :
the panther is lurking  -  it too is free of its cage.
-
Should it see me and lunge, what happens then? Can
I still be a friendly man, even to unfriendly animals?
I want to cower, but, too brave to show fear and to
scared to be brave, I decide to start talking in tongues.
Damn it all if that panther can't listen and understand
what I say! It answers back, something like 'no worry,
you're not what I came for.' I'm so really relieved.
-
Now, the morning light has already arrived.
The windows are rising their new yellow
light. I open my eyes and realize I'm alive.
No wall to contain me at all.

No comments: