Thursday, December 29, 2011

3378. LOTS OF CIGARETTE MONEY

LOTS OF CIGARETTE MONEY
I do not smoke, and Man does not
lightly alight from plane, boat or ship
thinking of continuance or pleasure
and pomp. Certain things lead to
certain things, while others just go
on. To tell you the truth, I do not
care and it does not matter. By chance,
there is a 'Quik-Chek' on the corner -
cars are parked and people mingle.
-
You are near enough, while others
are far away : Bakersfield, California
(is that the Central Valley?) and 
El Paso, Texas  -  both those places
hold folk eternal and people I know.
Those hinterland, well-topped hills
of Hollywood and Vine : crap-happy
scene stars, the dead and all the rest,
with their sad and droopy faces, watch.
-
I came through darkened woods  -  
where the paved road had long ago
ended. A few houses, scattered about,
with streams and ponds, led me to see
I was traveling on dirt, with nothing that
was paved or surfaced, and that I was,
really was, just living in a dream.
Really, just living in a dream.

No comments: