Monday, December 12, 2011

3356. MANY WATERS CANNOT QUENCH

MANY WATERS 
CANNOT QUENCH
Rhapsody in Blue is playing over my head.
East Street love affairs are never this easy; 
unsound and unfounded, they are never like
this. I think of Naomi and Ruth. 'Seduce me 
Boaz, uncover his feet'  - a Hebrew euphemism,
that, for exposing a man's genitals  -  and then
I think (there, there, that music again, almost
biblical itself, in its scrunching, eastside larch):
The Song of Songs and Solomon, together:
'Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth',
as the lover proclaims, 'I come to my garden. I
eat my honeycomb with my honey. Open to me,
my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one.'
-
But no  -  and more; nothing is ever perfect.
Not that scent of her juices nor that pant of
her breast. All the heave and fever makes me -
as well - shudder. (And, anyway, this world 
is so filled with ugly people). And fright is
its recompense as I gather, in this corner
of Spring, the snows of the Winter.

No comments: