Wednesday, December 14, 2011

3359. 'THE BODY OF AN ANGEL, THE HEAD OF A GOD'

'THE BODY OF AN ANGEL, 
THE HEAD OF A GOD'
Many of the things I remember the most
have really no meaning at all. Anterior podes,
these things as arranged, they ring twice, they
ring steady. Between ('Thusly') the forces of
Nature, I stand unopposed. ('outside that
small town, we stopped, so beleaguered on
a cold, wintry night. All the shop-lights were
glistening upon the snow  -  yellowed reflections
on an iced-blazing white'). Where the bridge
crossed the shallow river, an old ruined warehouse
stood  -  it seemed a shambles and a wreck;
one thing alone, but many all together.
-
'For the body of an angel, the head of a
God'  -  the old parson was telling me that,
in Rutland, Vermont. I never knew what he
meant, yet now, I do suppose, I should have.
All that brazen church lust, so many these years
later, so makes sense : my thumbs were broken,
but always at the ready. ('The streetlight changed its
color  -  a yellow to a red  -  and what few cars there
were rolled to a stop. Everything seemed so ordered.')
-
In the frozen midnight air, the Proctor Marble Works
stood out : all the strange and awesome white stone,
cut into glazed blocks and ('now') slumbering like a
weird ice itself beneath a strangely straggling moon.
Off the fenceline, even in this midnight cold, I did
notice a few deer still grazed  -  how they had not 
bedded down instead, deep in a nearby woods, I'll
never know. ('And then from Proctor to Florence, to
the old Hubbardton Battlefield, I squandered on.').

No comments: