Thursday, March 24, 2011

3004. MADDENING PATTERNS OF ILLUSTRIOUS LORE

MADDENING PATTERNS
OF ILLUSTRIOUS LORE

Never mind; I rode the horse until it tired.
Of me, or the ride, I never could tell.
The flat-iron steamer from the Scranton
Museum, I was looking straight at it, just
watching it plume. All these stupid
Pennsylvania people, riding an old train
like some Lionel wafer at a Christian
celebration. The tracks, they were laid
down right through the wood and vale;
no one ever cared a whit what they were
doing. 'This was Commerce, buddy, the
kind with the capital 'C'. It had to be.'
Something different from what Ezra Pound
had said : 'Kommerz, damned Kommerz!'.
Or something. If there wasn't a that there
couldn't be a this. I know such was the
landlord's thinking every month on the 28th.
I may have had it backward, or I may
have had it straight. Never mind.

No comments: