Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2081. OBSERVATORY

OBSERVATORY
I have decided I want to be at the observatory
with you; settled on the hillside, standing as one,
looking through that strange lens at the far and
open sky before us. You wanted, as I recall, to
guess a number for the stars you could see -
'70, 303', was the number you said, while I laughed.
'They all look the same to me', I said, questioning
instead if they were really there at all. 'I truly
think you've imagined just what you wish to see.'
No better gesture than shrugging could there have
been. You took your hand and put it on my arm.
We stayed like that together, for a few moments,
as you looked high to the forward sky. 'I've never,
I've never really imagined anything like this at all',
you said. 'Funny, I guess neither have I', I replied.

No comments: