Saturday, March 12, 2011

2087. OUTSIDE OF ENDINGS

OUTSIDE OF ENDINGS
Someone just told me I looked like Archimedes.
Yeah, right. Outside of endings, I like that one
best. I also like beginnings; but you know where
they can lead. Gustatory overindulgence - I
think that probably means over-eating. And
not only humans alone are so prone :
I've seen aliens too get sick on the road.
Well, their road - space, darkness, cold,
and all the rest. Outside of endings,
I like beginnings best.
-
They fill me with happiness, centeredness, and joy.
They bring forth all good intentions and expectations.
They live up to (I always hope) my own potential -
to be where the action is, to have gravitas and
influence, to be present when the best things occur.
-
Today on Sansome Street, I saw a very old man
take out his teeth. He rinsed them in a fountain
nearby. It was blowing water, at the same time,
into his face, wind-driven. He didn't seem to mind.
I wondered if I could ever be like him. I too am now
an 'old enough' man to be considered either ancient or
a pest and, though I still have all my teeth, well, anything
can happen. Decay sets in, and then neglect. Next you
know I'm spitting out teeth like phlegm. And - though
I don't want to be there when any of this occurs, I
actually do. I don't yet want to die.
-
Yet, I wondered still if - when alive - I could ever
be like that: hitching up my pants by tugging with
my hands, washing out my teeth in a fountain,
wearing wrinkled clothes, seemingly slept in, for
any extended period of time. But it's only good
fortune that keeps me this way, and not that.
It all could fall apart at any moment. And then
well, then I'd be happy to be anywhere at all.
I guess. Anywhere at all. Outside of
endings, I like beginnings best.

No comments: