Thursday, March 17, 2011

2094. I AM THE OTHER

I AM THE OTHER
'I am the other but I wasn't always the other
some days I was just me and great at that too
though it never was worth much and amounted
to less and I was talking to Evan this guy I know
about his new hat I called it a fedora and then
we realized we weren't sure what it was called -
felt finish with a little feather thing or something
attached at the strip of shiny cloth which wrapped
around the brim and we decided together we'd
both need to look that up for later and what do
you call a hat by style anyway ? tophat fedora
borsalino porkpie all that stuff I never know and
men don't much wear those formal sorts of hats
anymore except like hipsters and the urban hip
and young and chic and all those trying for that
but that isn't Evan's effect at all - more like just
pleasant formality and a certain gravitas or the
likes of that and he said anyway he'd 'gotten it
for trips to New York' so I guess it's pretty much
all the same and a'propos and all that but I sat
down anyway and couldn't get much past just
thinking about all that and - yes yes to get back
to the point : I am the other but sometimes I'm
just me and never really very good at that either.'

No comments: