Monday, December 27, 2010

2059. ALL THE WAY ON

ALL THE WAY ON
Just like, that is, any life you would
ever live. The car is in the driveway now
and all things are very modern. There
are metal reds and metal greens going
nowhere. My pitter-patter heart too itself
has died. Long ago, and already on the way
out, I wanted to find a feature : young boy,
and all of nothing too - wishing to be, FBI
agent, priest, provocateur, railroad guy,
tough man in a hoary little western tale.
Emily Emmet McCallister, a good woman,
living all alone and far out in the wilds, on
the prairie somewhere. Then the railroad came
as they laid the tracks - Union Pacific or
Missouri Central or Baltimore and Ohio,
something. Rebel flags and taunted horses;
long ago it was a troubled world.
-
Someone said I had the good sense to lose my
good sense and go mad. I'm still with that thought
in my mind : Emily Emmet McCallister? I built
her a cabin deep in the woods and there she
laid down to die. It was all things, everywhere -
Indian wars and then the Revolution and then
the Civil War, and with all that the railroad men
and the Rebels and the Indians with their squaws,
they all came riding through. Time had compressed
and folded over on itself - it was all over in a
blink that ended all of Time.
-
Just like, that is, any life you
would ever live. All the way on,
and then all the way off again.

No comments: