Monday, December 27, 2010

2058. MY MOST GENTEEL ROUT

MY MOST GENTEEL ROUT
My brother, my brother, I've lost so
many things standing here at the
border while still my heart sings.
Having never learned a trade, I trade
my learning now for a hundred other
things : nail-biting, the way the boxer
falls to the mat and does not get up,
the fair and distant horizon where
that faint green light yet beckons, and
I am all alone; thinking of someone
equally fair at the 'fine, green breast
of a newer world.' (I've never felt at
home, all things made brutal by this
world you see). But oh to you my brother
I owe no strife; we co-exist, and that is
life, so different and yet the same. The
fireplace has its fire as the flower has
its flower. On the mantle, the dim
yellow of the sitting-room lamp shines
on, illuminating (almost) nothing at all.

No comments: