Sunday, December 5, 2010

1223. WHILE IN VENICE

WHILE IN VENICE
What is it after all that I had to do?
'You can do this or you can do nothing.'
Oh crazy wizard take me far from here
and move me like a Venice watercraft in
hiding - two paltry sums of music and song
gliding beneath canal bridges and women up
above. I look up to see recognition and all I find
is you : magnificent bile living by wits and guile
the strength of all equations being bent and
broken. 'People stopped talking to me in 1963
and I haven't had a conversation since' :
it was true enough then and it's true enough
now. I figured since people say nothing much
anyway and what mattered little had therefore
no consequence . Here's the catalogue I'd
make if I had to make a catalogue :
two guys standing right near the gate
when the gate blew up, blown to smithereens,
their bodies went flying; three people selling
newspapers by the kiosk in the middle of the
square when two Italian kids come running down
- swiftly - push a man over, and run off just as swiftly
with the cashbox of one - they don't get too far, are
tackled by the crowd, and then are mercilessly pummeled,
nay, beaten to a pulp, by two big gents who had come
rushing over in the melee. Obviously some sort of enforcers.
The money perhaps was their cut? They wrenched the kids
brutally, and smacked them with deadly force. I guess that's
how you remember not to do these things again; four women
walking the cobblestones - most obviously whores down on
their luck - they are each dressed in comic clothing too formal,
too self-important, yet revealing in an old woman sort of way.
They stop for a moment while one adjusts her stockings.
Another lights a cigarette and drags on it from a holder she
has in her fingers. The woman with the stockings is done,
straightens up and, laughing, they all walk away.
Smoke lingers on the square, from where or
which event, I'm not sure I really know.

No comments: