Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2063. JOHN MAYNARD KEYNES

JOHN MAYNARD KEYNES
It was John Maynard Keynes who said
'in the long run, we're all dead'. Johann
Sebastian Bach is dead, and, now, so is
Keynes for that matter. Beethoven, I heard,
has died as well. Nothing is much worse than
yesterday's news, old and stale already. With
everyone else in the know, I wonder why the
morning waitress even asks me what I'd like.
She should have read it the day before. But,
nonetheless, I shrug : the shrug of despair, the
shrug of no-care, the shrug of the hospital
that just shuttered its doors, the shrug of
the doctor who overdosed on pills and died
by his own choice. The shrug of that lady,
peppered with buckshot and walking on,
wounded. The shrug of the old, soiled dog
chained harshly outside to the doghouse
at the pen. The one where the graffiti reads:
'In the long run, we're all dead; in the long
run, we're all dead.' I'll stand here a while
watching the scene, and then I too will
(most probably) just shrug it all off and,
thinking little of it, walk on.

No comments: