Saturday, December 25, 2010

2053. HOW I GARBLED THIS TRANSLATION

HOW I GARBLED THIS
TRANSLATION (2010)
(from Ernst Jule, 1931)
Darkling through night in the deep, dense woods,
catching no shadows in the blackness, of course I
felt alone. The woman beside me, Althea, poised
herself strongly aside a tree. She lit, with one
vague, unlined hand, the cigarette, for me, with
a match - the old-fashioned kind - that she
lit on the tree. A simple stroke, the strike along
the roughened bark. I think, because I didn't
see much in the dark until after the flame had
ignited, its simple red roar momentarily lighting
both our faces. There was a trace of a smile on
her lips. I understood all that and, yes, surely,
felt Belgium to be just around the bend in the
road. I never understood travel very well,
and never borders either - now, traveling
by foot like this through the woods, we were
attempting, instead, to sneak across something
unseen. Life has its dark and its matter too.
I hunkered down in my thick coat, as we
walked amidst a silence enough for two.

No comments: