Sunday, December 12, 2010

2031. AND ONE TIME

AND ONE TIME
One time I forgot my status as landed servant
and walked all the way home alone; another time,
as landed gentry, I flew skyward on a magic cloud of
dust. Enscripted acolyte, same thing - months of
plodding work, cows, pigs, fieldwork and labor.
Horseshoes. Repairs. As if I was born to toil while
also being born to royal. It never mattered, my
soup was always the same as the soups of
all the others; a forced gruel filled with bread.
-
I went to school, to try and tell them, but
no one listened. I trod long paths to far-flung
cabins and roists, to find a guide or a master;
none was ever found to make any real sense
to me. I clapped backs with the hands of scouts
and masters, but found we shared no tongue :
I said one thing, they said another.
-
It was always like that.
Then, (I was told), I went crazy
one day and simply began to shout
and scream, so they had me taken
away. In a winding cloth of sorts, with
with laces and clasps they'd hurriedly
made. And the one time I got here,
the one time I stayed. It was
just like that, yes, just
like that.

No comments: