Saturday, February 20, 2010

756. TIME'S PASSIVE PASSAGE

TIME'S PASSIVE PASSAGE
Amidst all this turmoil, it is a mere bruise. I did lose
an arm at Salamanca, I'll admit, but that pain passed,
and I've moved on from that. I read your letters
in my jail cell, but only when they pass them
through. What you state is obvious : I
really am stuck, and stuck on you.
-
Ten years ago, you could never have convinced
me things would come to this. Drudgery for
the King (a ruler I've never even met), a distant
posting for his obscene Holy War, injury,
maiming, and now this. Most of of my
friends are gone. Hiltard Rayo, my
closest friend, (remember him?)
is blind, but gets on quite well -
and he knows his wife and children
are gone. No matter to tell.
-
We two, you and I, are very lucky.
If what you say is true - that there
is no other man (which I actually
doubt) and that you still will wait
for me - we show fidelity like no others.
I, in love with the moon as seen from
my cell, and you claiming to love me,
stuck in my Hell. What's a mere
soldier to do? I can wait as well.

No comments: