Saturday, February 13, 2010

746. MY WINTER BLINDNESS FADES

MY WINTER BLINDNESS
FADES WHEN I SEE YOUR
BLEEDING HEART
This is no sample kit - everything in it is real.
The rapture, the fire, the intense feel of love
itself. Some marvel at a burning bush, I marvel
at the marvelous. A Valentine's Day spent in
mourning could make no more sense than this.
-
We walked together hand in hand. It really
was like a storybook picture. You muttered my
name, I mumbled something back - not really
knowing what to say. Then, at long last, we sat
down together in our warm and cozy space.
They brought us coffee and a platter,
things we'd never really asked for
but nonetheless kept in place.
-
It was all new to me : those Greek guys
with their baklava, the hoary dark drinks
they pounded, that crazy guy playing
his little guitar (or whatever it was).
Before I knew it, everything was over -
you'd said your prayers and spread
your cloth. It was the first of many
such engagements. We stayed
together longer than we've been
apart. My winter blindness fades
when I see your bleeding heart.

No comments: