Sunday, February 7, 2010

732. AT PIPPIN SOUND

AT PIPPIN SOUND
The water runs like water runs.
The mountains rise like mountains rise.
The highway drives like highways drive.
There's no sign of the settlers left.
-
This Park Ranger babe tries to tell me
how things were. Where they slept and how
they cooked. I know (and she knows) she's full
of shit. As if it was all about home decor back
then, she's going on about chairs and windows.
-
I simply decide, like a wildman from back then,
I'd much rather throw her down and strip her bare.
That's what she'd remember about the past.
'He came in quick and he pulled out fast.
Ugh, I think anyway. That's how it was.'
-
There's never any justice to things that can be said.
If it can fit into words, it's a lie instead.
The water runs like water runs.
The highway hums like
highways hum.

No comments: