Tuesday, February 2, 2010

721. LEGENDARY APPREHENSION

LEGENDARY
APPREHENSION
They put the highway right through my head :
things winging, flying by, high rates of speed,
everything a blur. Not that I minded, mind you.
It's all the same to me. The sharpshooter named
Raymond, the one from Desert Storm, showed
me long ago where a sniper should hide.
-
We were in Jersey City, sitting out front of old
Captain Al's, a now-gone beer joint all creepy and
run down. Right across from it, they'd built new condos,
and at the very top, some strange-looking pinnacle
stood out. I said 'a great place for a sniper, no?' -
and he, momentarily startled, blinked back and said
'yes, actually yes it is. That's the very sort of space they
taught us to find in sniper school, for urban warfare.
I spent many an hour, fully armed, in just such places.
Funny you should notice.' I laughed, and smiled back.
-
Sometimes such coincidences just seem to come together.
His erstwhile girlfriend, also there, Laura or Brenda or
some sort of name like that, had no clue what we'd
said. She was too busy enjoying the others enjoying
her. The whole scene was funny - she was showing
off as best she could, we were talking about killing
people, and right down at the end of the street,
a perfect and near view of Lady Liberty's backside
was present - the whole statue, in the harbor,
framed by the street - the Statue of Liberty
I'd had yet to meet.

No comments: