Sunday, February 14, 2010

747. CARNEVAL

CARNEVAL
Is for suckers.
All those who believe
in the frenzy of atonement.
All that 'life, death, and make
up for it all' stuff. On the other
hand, I did what I wanted and walked
away. No Rio beachfront revelry for me.
-
I used to summer in New Orleans before
I was banned. Mardi Gras always just started
the revolt : by three months later we all were
crazy. Laughter and loving, shacking up in a
shotgun shack, getting the names straight only
the next morning. It went on like that, I tell you,
a long, long time. Six weeks of Lent, a poor joke.
We made up for all that doing without in a mere day.
-
Nobody ever died. Nobody got too sick.
A few girls probably regretted it, but had time
to amend their ways later on. Salvation is easy
like that. Beads, beer, babes and booze.
That was all our motto said.

3 comments:

nighthawk said...

I must be getting older because more and more I understand your stuff or am I in the "less recondite" aisle of the voluminous Gary Introne poetry section

gary j. introne said...

Well, 'Nighthawk' I received your message, once again wishing to be able to contact you moe directly. (My 'Stealth' to your 'Nighthawk', I suppose). I'm not sure what your messge means, but I hope its good, or a positive, or something. And, no, I only have one 'poetry' section, so you must be getting it simply because you're 'getting older'. And I don't even know that.
Let's talk for real, OK...how about it. All this secrecy scares me off.

njabate@aol.com

gary j. introne said...

And also, anyone who successfully uses the word 'recondite' for me is a gamer. Not to pounce again, but isn't here some way we can intersect electronically directly, email, message, blah, blah. If not, oh well. Keep reading. I will soon splurge, just for you, on the most mellifluous, perfectly readable and pleasant work.