Saturday, March 28, 2009

296. SCRIBBLER

SCRIBBLER
Like a traveller far from some distant and
other world, I staggered into this world dragging
memories of things already done - vertical skags
of adventures and words, tales and stories already
written for things which hadn't yet happened.
Somehow, already prepared, I knew it would
happen this way - and so was ready for most
anything as it occurred.
-
The tenuous circumstance of a momentary existence
brings with it ten million items of equally momentary
exposure - minute brightnesses which arrive and
flame and go away. We - in both an expectation and
a reaction - adjust to what we see; yet we linger
too long and with too much self-importance
on these smallest things. The vile man runs to
his violence. The man from the parish tends
his parochial concerns. The scribe,
like myself today, scribbles.
-
'Pale moon, burning sun.
When will I see my only one.'

No comments: