Tuesday, March 3, 2009

253. LIGHTHEADED AND NONE TOO STABLE

LIGHTHEADED AND
NONE TOO STABLE
The last thing he said was 'I'll be okay!'
Subsidizing the pizza guy and walking through mesh,
caning the forewarned and washing out the corral.
Using the hose to water the walls; lashing a mundane
hammer to the roof of the barn. And then, all of a
sudden, the old blue car came up the papered lane,
stopped in its tracks, disgorged a few passengers,
and sped off. The pom-pom girls were left speechless.
'It was nothing I said, I hope', he muttered that to me
in the last second before he jumped. No big deal -
three stories down he landed in mud. Rolled about
a bit; got up and tried walking away. I think maybe
his ankle was broken, or something. His final words
upon parting: 'Lightheaded, and none too stable,
but I'll be okay.'

No comments: