Monday, June 26, 2023

16,362. RUDIMENTS, pt.1.303

 RUDIMENTS, pt.1,303 
(the shakedown was in the kitchen)
I've long lived without certain things; 
items I've always disliked and avoided.
'Sweats', for example. Those loose, saggy
sack-pants that so many like to stay in, for
days at a time. Pretty gross, to me. Shorts
too. In my adult life, I've never worn shorts,
and won't. I don't like the feel of them, and
that Etonian, British boys-school thing that
goes with them, was never me. Anyway, 
back when, riding a motorcycle in shorts
just seemed a terrible travesty. 
-
I co-existed with lots of things I disliked:
schools, church, various cares and palliatives.
TV. Some music, and all those short-end of
life things that can really ruin a day. Most of 
my life was spent 'undirected'  -  I pretty
much roamed, at will, and came and went
as I chose. It was funny, in its way, because
after a few years of seminary training and
discipline, I took off like my own Huck Finn,
once all of those rigors were removed. 
Procedures and process, be damned.
Good or bad, I don't really know. At home, 
my parents seemed more confused, or feared, 
of me, than anything else. Nothing was ever
instilled; advice was nil. It was a busy family,
and I just stayed away and then was gone
(again); given nothing, and taking nothing.
It was an empty, quiet, life, which I liked, and
my rigors of self-training and book-learning,
after all that had gone before, were gracious 
to me, and important to me too.
-
Nothing held much meaning to me;
holidays and celebrations without any merit.
I ignored them all  -  if I wasn't laughing
in someone's face over their 4th of July
ridicule, I was throwing a firecracker
on my way out. Demon-trouble lookalike,
but I knew my ways.
-
After a while it all appeared simple; the
family dichotomy was was : Father represented
brute force, anger. Mother represented a
soft, feminine (in those days) passivity
and some sort of drag-line by which she
has pulled along by kids, family, stove and
home. 'Too much confusion; I couldn't
get no relief'  -  to paraphrase.
-
I found out, after some time, that things
that don't start out correctly never end
correctly either - call it Destiny; call it
Fate. Your choice.



No comments: