Monday, May 30, 2022

14,334. A CHRISTIAN HUMOR

A CHRISTIAN HUMOR
All that Christian caterwauling about
stars and times and lights and angels
really makes me laugh on a Christmas
night. Angels on the head of a pin
could do me no better. And had I
believed we could rise from the
dead  -  in a most theatrical way  - 
I'd have surely seen that play by
now. Or written one anyway.
-
Some Hebrew playwright would
have hit on that already - 'Live,
on Broadway!' songs and chains
and chimes and names. But, alas,
now slower than a Conestoga 
wagon in a drama about going 
west, nothing's ever changed 
about this story.
-
'Born in a manger, died, and was
buried; rose  -  like Lazarus?  - 
in three days from the dead. As
I recall that's all they've ever read.
Lines of them, on a Christmas night;
trying to enter a church in the light
thrown by a silvery moon with a
sleigh full of ice  -  of toys and
promises and smiles and nice.
-
If that's all it takes to get me to
Heaven, I'll meet you tomorrow
at the 7-11. We'll throw down a
brew, and say a few prayers. What
happens after that...well, really
who cares?

No comments: