Sunday, May 15, 2022

14,310. I TURNED OFF THE VOICE

I TURNED OFF THE VOICE
And without the right camera angle
it was nothing; a few talking heads,
and that guy in the Greystone cap
sitting straight up with no movement.
My mind wandered : do cat's get
cradle-cap? Do they still make that
candy called 'Black Caps?' What
were Mallomars?
-
It's crazy what happens when you're
locked in a cell alone. The Vietnam
vet one cell over started telling me,
through the little bared window that
was between us, all about 'friendly
fire' and how it was worse that any
real attack could be; about how his
platoon buddy got his leg blown
off from a land-mine they hadn't
seen. Stepping right on it and all.
-
By the time the guard brought a
tray around it was probably 6:30,
and I was pretty hungry. He laid
the damned tray down and opened
the door and slipped it in. I probably
could've pecked him up when he bent
over, but what good would it do me?
I'd still be inside, nowhere to go, and
they'd round me up and beat me again
anyway and one more time.
-
I didn't even care about the redundancy.
The two kids down on the bench  -  punks,
in for busting up a stolen Lexus  -  were
scared of what they'd face. I asked the
one with the pimpled face how'd that
happen, and with modern cars and all
how can you even start one that you've
stolen...with all that electronic crap to
have to get around?
-
The Vietnam war guy was still rambling 
on, and then he began to yell, saying his
toilet had overflowed, and wanting the
guard to come clean it up. I figured
anything had to be better than that
detail, if it's even a detail at all.

No comments: