Sunday, May 15, 2022

14,308. WHAT DO THEY CALL TAXIS IN CUBA?

WHAT DO THEY CALL 
TAXIS IN CUBA?
The Rio Grande is not the 
Acheron, and they tell me
border passes don't come easy.
But what would I know about
that? My sidekick here says
her name is Carlotta. I'm not
one to doubt or judge, but it's
not exactly the name I'd figured.
Her brother (she claims) 'Lopez'
dragged us out of nowhere in a
beat-up Chevrolet he said he
used to drive in Cuba. Along
the creepy streets of Havana,
he says he drove it as a taxi.
-
I was never sure about him, only
because he seemed to know so
little, for all he claimed to be.
What do they call taxi drivers in
Cuba?, I asked. He didn't know,
and even my meager knowledge 
of foreign space told me 'botero.'
Well, then, how did you get it
here?, I wanted to ask. And
what do they call taxis in 
Havana? He shrugged again,
and made one of those silly, 
grunt-like, slimy noises that
Mexicans make in movies.
-
Maquinas were never my forte.
I told him I'd rather walk; but
his sister she she was tired and her
feet were hurting. I guess I espied
her lasciviously, for he turned a
bit sour from that moment on,
and he started driving like a 
madman clown.



No comments: