Tuesday, May 24, 2022

14,323. GENIO HOIST

GENIO HOIST
He came from Salerno, and
he lied like a bitch. Every
third word was some foreign
crack I couldn't understand.
We were drinking Country 
Red, a large jug of it, by those
Gallo Brothers, a winery that  - 
in the past  -  I've always felt
to be a joke, like Coke without
the fizz. I was right again.
-
He was one of those characters
who rolled his own cigarettes 
and just went on talking. The
task was Euro-style nonchalance,
like we should have been sitting
there with Angela Merkel, or
even Silvio Berlusconi. It seems
that cigarette smokers just don't
exist any more.
-
No matter, because much of what
was spoken I didn't even hear. 
Those damned Princeton bars
are ever so noisy deep into the
night. My German friend Elizabeth
called it a 'dive bar' but only first
after saying I'd probably not
know what she meant. I hoped
she was kidding, but I took her
at her word. I'd been there before.
-
Before too long, the drunkenness I
was feeling had really set in, and
the clock  -  I noticed  -  was then
running backwards. What that
does to 'Time' I do not know. I
wanted to ask Genio Hoist, but
he was already gone.


No comments: