Thursday, August 4, 2016

8474. WILL POWER

WILL POWER
You can't just go around
saying your name is Will
Power because you want to.
You're not even a Billy Power.
So what gives? I'll help you
with that large carton, but
only this once. 
-
Living here, just like this,
it's always something. A
17th street loft, in 1968  -
trucks and fleet guys, the
run and drone of the constant
delivery. Picking up pieces of
things that have fallen.
-
I've found so many things 
between here and the curb, 
it's incredible.  Second-hand
cast-offs, things dropped and
forgotten  -  a wallet or two over
time, loose change, glasses and
combs, books and a flute.
-
What do you call it when someone
walks away and leaves something 
behind? I wonder. Is there a word 
specific to that? It's not abandonment,
because you don't know you've done
it; it's not quite lost or stolen, though
I guess it is too. When it's done with
people, I guess it's called big trouble.
-
Take me, for example, Mr. Will Power...
Is that your daughter you've left at the curb?

No comments: